OPISystems Inc. helps secure the planet’s food supply with leading-edge grain management solutions that enable growers to protect and optimize the value of stored grain by reducing spoilage, reducing energy consumption and optimizing time to market. We have an immediate full-time opportunity for an Electrical or Systems Engineer. The successful candidate will be accountable for system design, testing and validation, manufacturability, compliance to regulatory standards, and technical lifecycle maintenance of OPI hardware. The role requires someone who can simultaneously focus on customer needs, technical feasibility and business concerns. Reporting to the CTO, daily activities will include:
- System level architectural definition including power electronics, sensing hardware, circuits to collect and interpret data, imbedded software, communication protocols and interface to user software
- Requirements management for world class IoT solutions
- Overseeing the work of internal technical personnel and third-party engineering service providers to ensure high quality engineering deliverables that comply with specifications and industry standards
- Feasibility studies, cost analysis and estimating, resource planning and management
- Implementation of product development best practice for embedded systems, Hardware and Mechanical Design and Engineering
- Collaboration with product management, sales & marketing, and embedded, web, & app development teams to develop and deliver on product roadmaps
- Bringing innovation and continuous improvement to an established company with a proven value proposition
Essential Knowledge & Experience:
- Sc. in Electrical or Systems Engineering
- Proven capability to diagnose and articulate problems to solve
- Experience analyzing technical and business needs to make optimized recommendations
- Demonstrable experience in new product development and market introduction
- Experience collaborating across Electrical, Mechanical and Software Engineering disciplines
- Leadership of product design and validation methodologies
- Experience with wired and wireless communications / “IoT”
- Experience designing for EMC and regulatory testing and approvals (CE, UL, IC, etc.), as well as maintaining those certifications.
- Working knowledge of electronic design for hazardous location deployment (dust).
Other Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Professional Engineering designation required
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple diverse projects
- Engages in product development activities through structured approaches that include sketches, models, diagrams, and other visual formats
- Multi-year experience in a hands-on design and implementation role across different industries or product lines is preferred. The individual should possess a broad range of experiences to draw from.
- Passion for designing products that improve the customers’ business, experience, and production uptime.
- CAD, SolidWorks, and/or Altium drafting knowledge
- Basic Firmware coding knowledge (Python) an asset
Salary to be negotiated based on skills and experience. If you feel you are the professional team player we are looking for, please forward your resume and cover letter to:
Attention: Michelle Kimber, HR Generalist
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.