OPIsystems Inc. has an immediate opening for a Firmware Developer. The position is located at the Calgary, Alberta development office and will report to our Systems Architect.
OPI requires high quality, reliable firmware for embedded computer systems. The embedded systems make up a distributed data acquisition and control network connected by RS-485, IEEE 802.3, and wireless mesh networks. The systems are powered by line and solar energy. Internet control of the system needs to cope with low bandwidth and high latency.
This is a job which requires that each of many details be attended to.
Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (Electrical, Software, or Computer Engineering), or Computer Science.
A candidate should be able to complete at least three of the following tasks well:
- Build highly reliable software that can operate unattended for years.
- Build software with deterministic outputs.
- Design software whose function can be quickly and thoroughly verified.
- Create software that can be easily understood by peers.
- Audit existing software for harmful flaws or instability.
- Establish and evolve a development process that willlead to the creation of reliable, verifiable, understandable software.
- Design network protocols.
- Physically debug problems with embedded circuit boards.
Experience and Qualifications;
- 5+ years of commercial product development on reliable and fault-tolerant data acquisition, controls, or embedded systems.
- Programmed embedded processors
- Designed communications protocols for distributed computers.
- Written software for embedded SoC microprocessors.
- Worked with electrical schematics.
- Created builds with deterministic and reproducible outputs.
- Able to contribute to a strong culture of continuous improvement.
- Experience with scalability testing and protocol optimization for distributed control applications an asset.
- Adept in the use and management of Linux-based operating systems.
Salary to be negotiated based on skills and experience. If you feel you are the professional team player we are looking for, please submit your resume and cover letter below, or forward your application to:
Attention: Michelle Kimber, HR Manager